Monday, 3 August 2009
Networking Tips for Job Seekers
1. Focus on networking with your warmest contacts and peers
2. Set clear objectives of what you are looking to gain from networking
3. Give More and take less! Generosity is Key share ideas, resources, and contacts
4. Be yourself
5. Ask lots of open questions - who? what? how? when?
6. Network with a wide range of contacts outside your immediate connections
7. Ensure you have a consistent online presence and are using social media platforms to establish an online brand (Eg LinkedIn.com, Twitter, Facebook)
8. Take a genuine interest in other people, their challenges and their goals (and not just your own needs)
9. You have two years and 1 mouth, listen twice as much as you talk
10. Focus on the quality of relationships rather than the number of contacts you've got
11. Keep asking "How can I help you?" rather than "How can you help me?
12. Share and help others without expecting anything back
13. Limit the time you spend on social media platforms. They can easily distract you from the main goal of finding a job.
14. Think long term relationships rather than short term gain